Saturday, July 11, 2015

What's in a name? Why "The Spike?"

     The name, “The Spike,” was not settled on in my mind until 2012.  After I rolled my 1995 4Runner with everyone on board, I was determined that my family would not go with me on extreme trails again until they all were secured by harnesses, I brought the truck home to build the buggy from, or so I thought.  

     At that time, I wanted to have a name that was a link to my final straw; my push to build the buggy.  Since it was done on the Golden Spike trail in Moab, I at first settled on “Spike.”  As I tossed that idea around in my head and prayed about it, I was reminded that this was a ministry dream.  

     Jesus Christ laid his life down for us and died on the cross for everyone.  His hands and feet were nailed, some bible translations say they drove spikes, into the cross.  Author Max Lucado as well as many scholars have said that many people relate the teaching that we drove the nails into His hands and feet and we put him Jesus on the cross.  While I know I did not drive the nails and Jesus in fact volunteered His perfect life for my sinful one, I know that he took them for me.  Each strike with the mallet represented the strikes against God that I have with each of my sins. Using a little liberty and relational thinking here, I can say I drove the nails which held the Christ to the cross.  I drove the spikes which held him crucified until he died.  I drove the spike!  This slogan of remembrance will be incorporated into the ministry remnding anyone who gets to sit behind the wheel, I drove “The Spike.”

No comments:

Post a Comment